EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Ph.D. ,Biostatistics, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 1998
- M.P.H. ,Biostatistics, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 1994
- B.A. (cum laude),Mathematics, University of Oklahoma, 1993
APPOINTMENTS AND POSITIONS:
- Associate Professor, 2005 to present, OUHSC
- Assistant Professor, 2002 to 2005, OUHSC
- Assistant Professor of Research, 1999 to 2002, OUHSC
Papers in peer-reviewed journals (selected from 67) :
Link to most current publications
- Vesely SK, Buchanan GR, Adix L, George JN. Cohen AR, Blanchette VS, Kuhne T. Self-reported initial management of childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a survey of members of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology – 2001. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology 2003;25:130-133.
- Oman RF, Vesely S, Kegler M, McLeroy K, Aspy CB. A youth development approach to profiling sexual abstinence. American Journal of Health Behavior 2003;27:S80-S93.
- Vesely SK, George JN, Lämmle B, Studt J-D, Alberio L, El-Harake MA, Raskob GE. ADAMTS13 activity in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: Relation to presenting features and clinical outcomes in a prospective cohort of 142 patients. Blood 2003;102:60-68.
- George JN, Vesely SK. Deficiency of ADAMTS13 in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (invited letter). Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2003;1:2041-2042.
- George JN, Vesely SK. Immune thrombocytopenic purpura - Let the treatment fit the patient (editorial). New England Journal of Medicine 2003;349:903-905.
- Vesely SK, George JN. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP-HUS): treatment, mortality, and the frequency of HIV infection (invited letter). Blood 2003;102:3849.
- George JN, Vesely SK. How can we provide the best care for our patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura? (editorial). Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2004;79:456-457.
- Vesely SK, Wyatt VH, Oman RF, Aspy CB, Kegler MC, Rodine S, Marshall L, McLeroy KR. The potential protective effects of youth assets from adolescent sexual risk behaviors. Journal of Adolescent Health, 2004;34:356-365.
- Aspy CB, Oman RF, Vesely S, McLeroy K, Harris-Wyatt V, Rodine S, & Marshall L. Adolescent violence: the protective effects of developmental assets. Journal of Counseling and Development, 2004;82:268-276.
- George JN, Vesely SK. ADAMTS13 and TTP: The clot thickens (editorial). Blood 2004;103:3997-3998.
- Vesely SK, Li X, McMinn JR, Terrell DR, George JN. Pregnancy outcomes after recovery from thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome. Transfusion, 2004;44:1149-1158.
- Oman RF, Vesely S, Aspy C, McLeroy KR, Rodine S, Marshall L. Adolescent alcohol and drug use and the potential protective effect of youth assets. American Journal of Public Health, 2004;94:1425-1430.
- Oman RF, Vesely SK, Aspy CB, McLeroy K, & Luby C. The association between multiple youth assets and sexual behavior. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2004;19:12-18.
- *Kojouri K, Vesely SK, Terrell DR, George JN. Splenectomy for adult patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: a systematic review to assess long-term platelet count responses, prediction of response, and surgical complications. Blood, 2004;104:2623-2634.
- *Terrell DR, Johnson KK, Vesely SK, George JN. Is immune thrombocytopenic purpura less common among black Americans? Blood, 2005;105:1368-1369. (peer-reviewed letter)
- Oman RF, Vesely SK, & Aspy CB. Youth Assets and Sexual Risk Behavior: The Importance of Assets for Youth Residing in One-Parent Households. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2005;37: 25-31.
- *Terrell DR, Williams LA, Vesely SK, Lämmle B, Kremer Hovinga JA, George JN. The incidence of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: all patients, idiopathic patients, and patients with severe adamts13 deficiency. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2005;3:1432-1436.
- Oman RF, Vesely SK, Aspy CB. Youth Assets, Aggression and Delinquency within the Context of Family Structure. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2005;29:557-568.
- Aspy CB, Vesely SK, Oman RF, Rodine S, Marshall L, Fluhr J, McLeroy K. Youth-parent communication and youth sexual behavior: Implications for physicians. Family Medicine.2006;38(7):548-52.
- Tolma EL, Vesely SK, Oman RF, Aspy CB, Rodine S. Sexuality Education Beliefs among Sexually Experienced Youth: Differences by Gender and Birth Control Use. American Journal of Sexuality Education. 2006;1:3-23.
- *Doss J, Vesely SK, Oman RF. A Matched Case-Control Study: Investigating the Relationship between Youth Assets and Sexual Intercourse among 13-14 year olds. Child: Care, Health & Development. 2006. On-line: http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2214.2006.00639.x.
- *Francis KK, Kalyanam N, Terrell DR, Vesely SK, George JN. Disseminated malignancy misdiagnosed as thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a report of 10 patients and a systematic review of published cases. The Oncologist. 2007;12:11-19.
- Tolma EL, Oman RF, Vesely SK, Aspy CB, Rodine S, Marshall L, Fluhr J. Adolescent sexuality related beliefs and differences by sexual experience status. The Health Educator. 2007;39(1):3-9.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura – hemolytic uremic syndrome (TTP-HUS)
- Immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
- Youth Assets
- Clinical Trial Design
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- One of 16 network sites in the Transfusion Medicine and Hemostasis Network funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This network is designed to create, plan, conduct, and analysis pivotal clinical trials in the areas of transfusion medicine and hemostasis particularly for rare diseases such as TTP-HUS and ITP. Role: Co principal investigator
- Longitudinal Study of Youth Assets and Risk Behaviors. A longitudinal observational study of youth and their parents. Surveys are administered in home at one year intervals for a total of five waves of data collection. This study is designed to refine the youth asset survey tool, better understand the relationship between youth assets, risk factors, demographic factors, and neighborhood factors. Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Role: Co-investigator/Biostatistician