EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Post-doctoral fellow, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- Ph.D. in Biostatistics, West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu, China.
- M.S. in Biostatistics, West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu, China.
- M.D. in Preventive Medicine, West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu, China.
APPOINTMENTS AND POSITIONS:
- October 2012 – present, Assistant professor of Research, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- August, 2005 – September, 2012: Assistant professor of Research, Center for American Indian Health Research, College of Public Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- July 1994 – August 1999: Lecturer, Department of Health Statistics, School of Public Health,West China University of Medical Sciences, Chengdu, China
(out of 47 peer-reviewed articles)
- Fretts AM, Howard BV, McKnight B, Duncan GE, Beresford SAA, Mete M, Zhang Y, Siscovick DS. Life’s Simple 7 and Incidence of Diabetes among American Indians: The Strong Heart Family Study. Diabetes Care 2014 May 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Zhao J, Roman MJ, Devereux RB, Yeh F, Zhang Y, Haack K, Best LG, Cole SA, Lee ET, Howard BV. Leukotriene Haplotype × Diet Interaction on Carotid Artery Hypertrophy and Atherosclerosis in American Indians: The Strong Heart Family Study. Atherosclerosis. 2014;233(1)165–171.
- Gribble MO, Crainiceanu CM, Howard BV, Umans JG, Francesconi KA, Goessler W, Zhang Y, Silbergeld EK, Guallar E, Navas-Acien A. Body composition and arsenic metabolism: a cross-sectional analysis in the Strong Heart Study. Environ Health.2013 Dec 9;12(1):107. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:24321145
- Zhao J, Zhu Y, Lin J, Matsuguchi T, Blackburn E, Zhang Y, Cole SA, Best LG, Lee ET, Howard BV. Diabetes. 2014; 63: 354-362. Published ahead of print, August 15, 2013 doi: 10.2337/db13-0744
- Zhang Y, Lee ET, Howard BV, Best LG, Umans JG, Yeh J, Wang W, Yeh F, Ali T, Devereux RB, de Simone G. Insulin Resistance, Incident Cardiovascular Diseases, and Decreased Kidney Function Among Non-diabetic American Indians: The Strong Heart Study. Diabetes Care.2013;36:3195-3200, 2013 Jun 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:23735722
- Ali R, Lee ET, Knehans AW, Zhang Y, Yeh JL, Rhoades ER, Jobe JB, Ali T, Johnson MR. Dietary intake among American Indians with metabolic syndrome – comparison to dietary recommendation: the Balance Study. In press, International Journal of Health and Nutrition.
- Yang J, Zhu Y, Lee ET, Zhang Y, Cole SA, Haack K, Best LG, Devereux RB, Roman MJ, Howard BV, Zhao J. Joint associations of 61 genetic variants in the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor genes with subclinical atherosclerosis in American Indians: a gene-family analysis. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2013 Feb 1; 6(1):89-96. doi: 10.1161/CIRCGENETICS.112.963967. Epub 2012 Dec 22.
- Lee ET, Jobe JB, Yeh JL, Ali T, Rhoades ER, Knehans AW, Willis DJ, Johnson MR, Zhang Y, Poolaw B, Rogers B. A cardiovascular risk reduction program for American Indians with metabolic syndrome: the Balance Study. The Journal of Primary Prevention. 2012 Aug; 33(4):187-96.
- Carty CL, Buzková P, Fornage M, Franceschini N, Cole S, Heiss G, Hindorff LA, Howard BV, Mann S, Martin LW, Zhang Y, Matise TC, Prentice R, Reiner AP, Kooperberg C. Associations between incident ischemic stroke events and stroke and cardiovascular disease-related genome-wide association studies single nucleotide polymorphisms in the population architecture using genomics and epidemiology study. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2012 Apr 1;5(2):210-6. Epub 2012 Mar 8. PubMed PMID: 22403240.
- Yang J, Cole SA, Haack K, Zhang Y, Howard BV, Best LG, Devereux RB, Lee ET, Zhao J. A gene -family Analysis of 61 Genetic Variants in the Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Genes for Insulin Resistance and type 2 diabetes in American Indians. Diabetes, 2012; 61(7):1888–1894 PMID: 22586585
- Longitudinal data analysis
- Multilevel modeling
- Application of statistical methods in clinical and epidemiological studies
- Genetic epidemiology of chronic disease with an emphasis on cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and obesity.
- Epidemiology and prevention of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes
CURRENT MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- Co-investigator, Cardiovascular Disease in American Indians (the Strong Heart Study) –funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).