EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Ph.D., Health Administration and Public Policy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 2009
- M.S., Health Promotion and Education, Northeastern State University, 1998
- Health and the American Indian
- Practicum in Cross-Cultural Research
- Azar M, Stoner JA, Wynn D, Chen J, Stephens L, Goodman J, Lyons TJ (2012). Diabetes in minority pregnancy: epidemiology and evaluation of diagnostic tools. Diabetes. 61 (Suppl. 1): A645
- AT Ozga, CM Lewis Jr., A Obregon, RY Tito, MW Foster, LD Stephens, DM Warren (2011). Analysis of TCF7L2, a candidate gene for type 2 diabetes, in Oklahoma American Indians. American Journal of Human Biology. 23(2)2:271
- Johnson, V.A., Sherman, S. L., Edwards, K., Stephens, L. D., Williams, W., Adair, A. & Deer, M.H. (2009). Decisions to participate in Fragile X and others genomics-related research: Native-American and African American voices. Journal of Cultural Diversity. 16(3): 127-135
- Stephens, L. D., (2009). Oklahoma rural American Indian attitudes toward participation in clinical research studies. Doctoral dissertation, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Warren, D. M., L. D. Stephens, J. J. Mulvihill and M. W. Foster (2008). A comparative analysis of issues arising from genetic studies of type 2 diabetes and other complex diseases involving American Indian tribes. Diabetes. 57: A644-A644
- Smith BJ, Leyva M, Aston CE, Stephens LD, Baker MZ (2008). Baseline Assessment of Osteoporosis Risk in Oklahoma Native American Women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 23:S318
- Lampley-Dallas, V. T., K. Edwards, L. Stephens, C. Aston and A. Joines (2008). Baseline Assessment of Osteoporosis Risk in Oklahoma Native American Women. Gerontologist. 48: 422-422
- Lampley-Dallas, V. T., K. A. Edwards, L. D. Stephens, C. E. Aston and A. Joines (2008). Native Americans' views on research participation. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 56(4): S126-S126
- Lampley-Dallas V., Edwards K., Stephens L., Davis B., Joines A., Grim G. (2005). Recruiting Issues: Insights from Older Native Americans. The Gerontologist. Vol 45, Special Issue. page 76
- Lampley-Dallas VT, Edwards KA, Davis B, Stephens LD, Cooper T, Grim, G. (2005). Recruiting Native Americans For Research Studies: What Are Their Concerns? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 55(4):S149-150
- Dr. Stephens' research interests focus on brokering agreements between the University and Tribal Nations within the state of Oklahoma.
- The high rate of diabetes in American Indian populations, and diabetes research.
- Cancer, Obesity, Cardiovascular, Pregnancy (Pre-Eclampsia), C-Reactive Protein (inflammation), Dementia, Osteoporosis, Tobacco Cessation, Genetic Studies and a Diabetes Prevention, Intervention & Evaluation program with tribal youth.
- My specific research interest lie in disease prevention programs for youth, health literacy for all ages and chronic kidney disease/end-stage renal disease resulting from diabetes.