On Thursday, November 12, 2020 the Hudson College of Public Health held a virtual dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony for the naming of the Auditorium in Memory of Dr. Edward N. Brandt, Jr. (1933-2007)
Dr. Brandt began his career at the University of Oklahoma where he earned a bachelor’s degree in 1954. He earned a master’s degree at Oklahoma State University the next year before returning to OU to earn a medical degree in 1960 and a doctoral degree in biostatistics in 1963. He was appointed assistant to the vice president for medical affairs at OU in 1967 and soon became associate dean of the medical school. In 1981, President Reagan tapped Dr. Brandt to serve as assistant secretary of health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. After more than two years of distinguished service during the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and a new title as “Godfather of Women’s Health”, Brandt left his federal post to become chancellor of the University of Maryland-Baltimore. In 1989, Brandt came back to Oklahoma to serve as the executive dean of the OU College of Medicine and the first director of the Center for Health Policy at the OU College of Public Health, where he continued to work until his retirement. In retirement, he taught as a Regents’ Professor Emeritus at the OU College of Public Health and served on more than a dozen committees. He received multiple awards for his service, including being honored by the National AIDS Foundation.
To view the November 12th Auditorium Dedication, please press here.