EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- M.P.H., University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 1996
- Internal Medicine Residency, Oklahoma State University College of Medicine, 1981-1985
- D.O., Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, 1981
- B.S., University of Central Missouri, 1977
APPOINTMENTS AND POSITIONS:
- Professor and Associate Dean, College of Public Health, June 2011
- Professor of Medicine, College of Medicine, January 2012 - present
- Chief Quality Officer, OU Physicians Group, January 2012 - present
- Chair, Hospital Advisory Council, Oklahoma State Department of Health, 2012 – present
- Member, Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2010 - 2013
- Member, National Advisory Council, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2001 - 2011
- President and CEO, and Medical Director, Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality, 2001 - 2011
- President, American Health Quality Association, 2003 - 2005 and 2010 - 2011
LINK TO CURRENT PUBLICATIONS:
View Dr. Bratzler's current publications
- Nuti, S.V., Y. Wang, F.A. Masoudi, Dale W. Bratzler, S.M. Bernheim, K. Murugiah, H. M. Krumholz. “Improvements in the Distribution of Hospital Performance for the Care of Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction, Heart Failure, and Pneumonia, 2006-2011.” Medical Care (June 2015) Volume 53, Number 6:485-491
- Bratzler, Dale W. [Editorial Commentary] “Pneumococcal Vaccination-Promoting Health.” A Supplement to The Journal of American Osteopathic Association (June 2015), Volume 115, No. 6, Supplement 2:S4-S5
- Trivedi, A.N., W. Nsa, L.R.M. Hausmann, J.S. Lee, A. Ma, Dale W. Bratzler, M.K. Mor, K. Baus, F. Larbi, M. Fine. “Quality and Equity of Care in U.S. Hospitals.” The New England Journal of Medicine (December 10, 2014) 371(24):2298-2308
- Lee, J., W. Nsa, L. Hausmann, A. Trivedi, Dale W. Bratzler, D. Auden, M. Mor, K. Baus, F. Larbi, M. Fine. “Quality of Care for Elderly Patients Hospitalized for Pneumonia in the United States, 2006 to 2010.” The Journal of the American Medical Association Internal Medicine (November 2014) 174(11):1806-1814
- Calderwood, M.S., K. Kleinman, Dale W. Bratzler, A. Ma, R. Kaganov, C. Bruce, E. Balaconis, C. Canning, R. Platt, S. Huang. “Medicare Claims Can Be Used to Identify US Hospitals With Higher Rates of Surgical Site Infection Following Vascular Surgery” For the CDC Epicenters Program and the Oklahoma Foundation for Medical Quality, Medical Care (October 2014) 52(10):918-925
- Anderson, D.J., K. Podgorny, S.I. Berrios-Torres, Dale W. Bratzler, E.P. Dellinger, L. Greene, A.C. Nyquist, L. Saiman, D.S. Yokoe, L.L. Maragakis, K.S. Kaye. “Strategies to Prevent Surgical Site Infections in Acute Care Hospitals: 2014 Update.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, Vol. 35, No. 6 (June 2014), 605-627.
- Berríos-Torres S.I., S.H. Yi, Dale W. Bratzler, A. Ma, Y. Mu, L. Zhu, J.A. Jernigan. “Activity of Commonly Used Antimicrobial Prophylaxis Regimens against Pathogens Causing Coronary Artery Bypass Graft and Arthroplasty Surgical Site Infections in the United States, 2006-2009.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology (2014) 35(3):231-9, first published online January 29, 2014
- Bratzler, Dale W. [Editorial Commentary] “Surgical Care Improvement Project Performance Measures: Good but Not Perfect.” Clinical Infectious Disease (2013) 56(3): 428-9, first published online November 9, 2012
- Bratzler, Dale W., E.P. Dellinger, K.M. Olsen, T. Perl, P.G. Auwaerter, M.K. Bolon, D.N. Fish, L.M. Napolitano, R.G. Sawyer, D. Slain, J.P. Steinberg, R.A. Weinstein. “Clinical Practice Guidelines for Antimicrobial Prophylaxis in Surgery” for the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Infectious Diseases Society of America, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, and the Surgical Infection Society in American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (2013) 70:195-283, republished in Surgical Infections (2013) 14:73-156
- Bratzler, Dale W. [Editorial Commentary] “Accountability for Surgical Site Infections: Will the Playing Field Be Level?” Clinical Infectious Disease (2013), first published online August 2, 2013
- Broughan, T.A., M.E. Crosby, A.W. Trickey, A. Ma, Dale W. Bratzler. “Implications of Medicare Procedure and Volumes on Resident Education.” American Journal of Surgery (2013) 205(6): 737-44, published online March 28, 2013
- Calderwood, M. S., K. Kleinman, Dale W. Bratzler, A. Ma, C.B. Bruce, R.E. Kaganov, C. Canning, R. Platt, S.S. Huang. “Using Medicare Claims to Identify U.S. Hospitals with a High Rate of Surgical Site Infection Following Hip Arthroplasty.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology (2013) 33:40-9
- Gravenstein, S., M. Madjid, M. Baram, M.J. Bittner, Dale W. Bratzler, D.A. Jurivich, P. Kilgore, M.C. Mahoney, A. Monto, C.E. Picone, G.A. Poland, K.M. Ramsey. “The Cardiovascular Burden of Influenza.” Roundtable Proceedings Sanofi Pasteur Inc. October (2013)
- Harris, C.D., Dale W. Bratzler. “Evaluating Quality of Care: The Role of Peer Review.” Journal of the Oklahoma State Medical Association (2013) 106(7): 281-4
- Letourneau, A.R., M.S. Calderwood, S.S. Huang, Dale W. Bratzler, A. Ma., R. Platt, D. Yokoe. “Harnessing Claims to Improve Detection and Reporting of Surgical Site Infections Following Hysterectomy and Colorectal Surgery.” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology (2013) 34(12):1321-3, published online October 28, 2013
- Silber, J.H., P.R. Rosenbaum, R.N. Ross, O. Even-Shoshan, R.R. Kelz, M.D. Neuman, C.E. Reinke, J.M. Ludwig, F.A. Kyle, Dale W. Bratzler, L.A. Fleisher. “Racial Disparities in Operative Procedure Time: The Influence of Obesity.” Anesthesiology (2013) 119(1): 43-51
- Development and maintenance of national performance measures used to profile and publicly report metrics on quality of inpatient and outpatient health care.
- Evidence-based management of hospitalized patients.
- Prevention of surgical complications, and in particular evidence-based approaches to prevention of surgical site infections.
- Use of administrative data to profile hospital outcomes of care (infection, mortality).
- Use of information technology to improve the quality of health care.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- Evaluation of the relationship between surgical processes of care and patient outcomes.
- Evaluation of the relationship between pneumonia processes of care and patient outcomes.
- Use of Medicare claims to profile hospital rate of surgical site infections.
- Population-based surveillance for venous thromboembolic disease.
- Development of national guidelines for prevention of surgical site infections.