The Oklahoma Nutrition Information Education (ONIE) / oh-nē / Project’s mission is to promote healthy living through innovative and creative strategies for communities, families and individuals. We strive to improve the health and nutrition of Oklahomans by creating system level changes, and developing nutrition and physical activity interventions in both English and Spanish.
ONIE applies social marketing principles to all of their initiatives to help make the easy choice the healthy choice. Here are a just a few examples:
- Host a library of 250+ quick, healthy, and delicious recipes on www.onieproject.org. We also print our recipes in our annual calendar, recipe cards to schools and other organizations across the state.
- Assist farmers markets in the process of accepting SNAP benefits and helping them grow so that all Oklahomans have greater access to fresh produce.
- Host FREE 5K Walk/Runs that positions physically active as free family fun, encouraging all to participate.
- Conduct cooking classes and demonstrations, highlighting the importance of eating a well-balanced diet.
- Develop online videos, blogs, social media posts and other print materials describing quick, simple tips for living more healthfully, posted on our Facebook and Instagram @ONIEProject (English) @ProyectoONIE (Spanish)
We are always looking for ways to expand our network and help make Oklahoma the healthiest state it can be!
- Evaluation of behavior change in home meal preparation and vegetable consumption among low-income Oklahomans before and after ONIE’s social marketing campaign, “Choose Homemade”
- Associations between utilization of food incentives (DUO & SNAP) at Farmers Markets and purchasing patterns
- Conducting needs assessments among farmers market managers’ and producers’ to understand their role and capacity, as well as perceptions and acceptance of food incentives, in order to better support them.