Dr. Tom Teasdale is a health educator with 40 years in the fields of public health, geriatrics, and gerontology. He retired from full-time University service in 2022 and returned as a volunteer part-time faculty member. He serves on several national committees, has developed many educational products for instruction in aging, and has authored over 60 publications/chapters. He worked for nearly 20 years jointly at the Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. In 2003, he moved to Oklahoma to join the Oklahoma City Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Oklahoma Department of Geriatric Medicine. At the VA, he led the Geriatrics and Extended Care Service education mission and served as the Oklahoma site leader for the VISN 16 Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC). In the College of Medicine Geriatrics Department, he led the department’s education mission, was PI of the HRSA-funded Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, was associate director of the Oklahoma Healthy Aging Initiative, and concluded as vice chairman of the Department. In 2015, he moved to the University of Oklahoma Hudson College of Public Health where he served as chair of the Department of Health Promotion Sciences for six years. His interests focus on evaluation of health care initiatives and workforce development with priority populations experiencing disparities. He continues as co-PI of the University of Oklahoma GWEP (https://dcn.ouhsc.edu/) and leads the evaluation efforts for several tribal health care initiatives.
Link to Dr. Teasdale's current publications
1. ACCEPTED: Carroll, Leslie D. Carroll PhD, MPH; Wetherill, Marianna PhD, MPH, RDN-AP/LP; Teasdale, Thomas A DrPH; Salvatore, Alicia L DrPH, MPH. Community Health Improvement Plans: An Analysis of Approaches Used by Local Health Departments. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice.
2. Campbell JE, Janitz AE, Kleszynski K, Dowers-Nichols C, Anderson AS, Dentino AN, Rubenstein LZ, Teasdale TA. Results from the 2013 Senior's Health Services Survey: Rural and Urban Differences. J Community Public Health Nurs. 2018;4(1):213. doi: 10.4172/2471-9846.1000213.
3. Janis E. Campbell, Amanda E. Janitz, Thomas A. Teasdale, Claire Dowers-Nichols, Keith Kleszynski, Andrew N. Dentino & Laurence Z. Rubenstein (2018) Assessing Statewide Need for Older Adult Health Promotion Services: The Oklahoma Experience, Journal of Social Service Research, 44:2, 119-131, DOI: 10.1080/01488376.2018.1428922
4. Teasdale TA, Mapes SA, Henley O, Lindsey J, Dillard D. Instructional Simulation Integrates Research, Education, and Practice. Gerontology & Geriatrics Education. 37(1):62-80, 2016. UI: 26106812.
5. Bass DA, Judge KS, Snow AL, Wilson NL, Morgan RO, Maslow K, Randazzo R, Moye JA, Odenheimer GL, Archambault E, Elbein R, Pirraglia P, Teasdale TA, McCarthy CA, Looman WJ Kunik ME. PLoS Med. A Controlled Trial of “Partners in Dementia Care:” Veteran Outcomes After 6 and 12 Months. Alzheimer's Research & Therapy. 2014 Feb 28;6(1):9.